Sep 26, 2009

DIY Nursing Cover Up

Most of you have probably heard of Hooter Hiders, the original nursing cover up with corset boning sewn into the top hem so mother and baby can see each other while staying discreet.  However, with such a simple design and at $35 each, they were just begging to be knocked off.  And they have been, like crazy.  In fact, sewing your own is a project even craft-challenged people like me can handle.


I paid $8 for this same easy-to-follow pattern, but you can get it here for FREE with very detailed photos of each step.



The corset boning and D rings are available at most sewing/craft stores like Jo-Ann's.  Besides saving a ton of money by sewing your own, you can choose from an endless array of fabrics and personalize it as much as you want.  Just make sure the fabric you choose is lightweight and breathable.  Also, if you're going to be using it outside in the sun at all, you may want to go for a lighter color of fabric so baby stays cool.


Even if you don't plan on breastfeeding any time soon, these make great gifts for moms-to-be.  I've used mine everywhere and have been asked by several people where they could find one.


 To be completely honest, because I'm not much of a seamstress, I did have some frustrating moments making this.  However, after studying the pattern several times, I eventually got it, and I must say, it looks pretty good.  I hope this pattern works well for you.  Have fun and let me know how yours turns out.  lotsalove!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Yup! This is on my list of things to make (No, not for me.....but the zillions of preggos here in our area). I've seen lots of tutes and this one: http://littlebirdiesecrets.blogspot.com/2008/07/how-to-make-nursing-cover.html
looks pretty easy to follow as well.

Angie C said...

I'm sure whatever you make will be 10 times cuter than mine, Emily. You have the gift! Thanks for the link, too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations