Sep 18, 2009

Unique and Affordable Costume Ideas (No Sewing Required!)


Tired of pirates and princesses?  How about dressing your trick-or-treater as a piece of sushi this year?





Or a cute little toadstool?







These cute costume ideas and a ton of others are the brainchild of Family Fun Magazine.  I was given a subscription as a gift a few years ago and am eternally grateful!  But you don't need a subscription to check out all of their great ideas.  Just visit their website, click on "Halloween", and then "costumes".


I have saved some pretty big bucks making my kids' Halloween costumes instead of buying the packaged, polyester, pieces of (fill-in-the-blank) that tear within the first few hours of wear.  Now I know what you're thinking.  Or, at least I'll try to guess.  You're probably thinking that you have neither the time or the ability to make a costume that your child will actually be willing to wear.  Let me put your mind at ease by telling you that I have the crafting and creative ability of a kindergartner (although I'm pretty sure I'm better at cutting with scissors).  The step-by-step instructions are very easy to understand and execute.  In fact, your kids may even be able to help, depending on their age.


A couple of years ago, I tried the costume for the "Fab '50s Waitress" for my girls, and my toddler son went as the "Good Egg".  They turned out so cute!!!







Family Fun also has ideas on how to make traditional costumes (like pirates and princesses) as well.  I hope this fires up your excitement about DIY costumes.  If you try any of these ideas, let me know how they turn out.  lotsalove!

3 comments:

california smiths said...

I get that magazine and loved the Jelly fish costume they had in it!

Heherjo said...

I love these ideas and I want more. I want some for boys. I think this blog is a great idea and can't wait to read more of them. Make sure to send out mass emails each time you make a new post. I am impressed.

Heather

Alison said...

You have a birthday close to Halloween, don't you? I remember your mom hosting a super fun party, complete with bubbling cauldron. Seems like you still love the holiday. :-) BTW, I love Family Fun and subscribed for many years when my kiddos were younger. And....I've got to try that hair spray too. I have to chase my daughter around with the hair brush every day. She has ringlets. Lovely, but a pain.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations