Oct 8, 2009

Better Than GoGurts!

I think yogurt in a tube is a really great idea!  It's nutritious, appealing to kids, and freezable so you can throw them in your child's lunch box and they thaw by noon.  If you're sneaky enough, you might even be able to convince your kids that they're popsicles. 


I try to keep this blog positive, but I need to fill you in on some sad statistics: 70% of kids in the U.S. have below-normal levels of vitamin D and less than 50% of kids ages 6-11 get the recommended # of servings of dairy products a day, which provide 76% of their calcium intake.  These statistics are only getting worse and along with them, our kids' bone density.  There are quite a few reasons for this trend, but the bottom line is that, despite the popularity of the "Got Milk?" ad campaign, children past the age of 6 just don't drink much milk anymore.   It's our job as their parents to try and change that.


I literally grew up with a dairy cow in our back pasture (her name was Buttercup, and she was so beautiful!) but these days, we're lucky if our kids even know where milk comes from.  So that's why I think yogurt in a tube is a great idea.  It takes a food product that's ho-hum, and makes it cool and desirable just by changing how it's packaged.  However, what is not desirable, is added sugar and high fructose corn syrup, artificial colors blue 1 and red 40, and a huge price tag for the tiny bit of yogurt actually in those tubes.


Many thanks to Stonyfield Farm for offering us a choice, which is: yogurt in a tube with all the above mentioned crap, or great-tasting, totally tubular yogurt without any, as they put it, "yucky stuff".  Their awesome product is called Yokids Squeezers and it comes in berry, cherry, and strawberry flavors.  Honestly, my kids love them and really don't know the difference.  They still call them "Gogurts".  Besides not having any artificial colors or flavors and less sugar than Gogurts, they have the 10% of the Daily Value for calcium and vitamin D and only 0.5 grams of saturated fat.  To top it all off, they're less expensive than Gogurts!  Love it!!!







I buy them at Trader Joe's for $2.99/8-pack (Gogurts at Albertsons cost $3.59).  If you don't live near a Trader Joe's, you can find a retailer that carries them near you by clicking here.  I hope your kids love them as much as mine do.  lotsalove!

3 comments:

Shannon said...

We are dairy free over here and I worry that my kids (and me) don't get enough calcium. I buy fortified whatevers, but I don't know if that's enough?

Angie C said...

Kids 1-3 years old need 500 mg of calcium a day and 4-8 years olds need 800. Check the nutrition labels of the fortified foods you buy and do the math to make sure their needs are being met. Also, the recommendations for vitamin D intake has been increased for kids and adults. Infants through adolescents need 400 IU (international units) of vitamin D3 a day. Not all calcium fortified foods have vitamin D so a separate supplement may be necessary, and is perfectly safe. So their bodies can utilize the vitamin D, kids need 10-15 minutes of sun on their face and hands every day, without sunscreen!

Shannon said...

Thanks for the info. I'll go get my calculator, you know Brian tried tutoring me in math one year (maybe jr. high, can't remember for sure). I'm sure I didn't make it easy on him.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations