Nov 21, 2009

An Oldie but Goodie: Tupperware's Shape-O Toy

Mention the word "tupperware" and many people my age will have flashbacks of their moms in the living room with her friends, eating fondue, and ooh and aahing over avocado-colored bowls with lids that burp and trumpet-shaped, plastic cups in the shades of orange, electric blue, green and red.

But, Tupperware has kept up with the times.  Their website still offers the, almost indestructible, classics you remember, and several cool new items as well.  This post is not about cupcake caddies, though.  Today, I am raving about their shape sorter, the Shape-O Toy.  You know, the classic red and blue octagonal-shaped ball that requires the strength of Sampson to pull apart to get the yellow shapes to fall out?

My mom bought one for my kids several years ago and I muttered my thanks and didn't think much of it.  However, since that time, I have become increasingly grateful for this awesome toy.  Here are a few things I love about this toy:

1.  It teaches a total of 10 shapes, including a few unusual ones.  I don't think there's another toy sorter on the market that will help your preschooler learn the difference between a hexagon and a trapezoid, or as my 3-year old says, a "hex-gone" and "trapazazoid".

2.  It encourages adult interaction, especially to help your kids get the shapes out of the ball.  I have yet to see a preschooler open up one of these babies on his own.  It's kind of cool when my kids look at me like some kind of superhero because I'm able to pull the thing apart.  Just make sure you don't catch anyone's finger in it when it snaps back together.

3.  It's a great rattle as well as a shape sorter.  Kids of all ages LOVE shaking this ball!  Yes, at times it can be a little irritating, but it's worth it to see my child having so much fun with a toy that requires no batteries.

4.  It's extremely durable.  And if you ever need to replace yours, which is unlikely, you can rest assured that Tupperware will be selling this shape shorter long after our kids have outgrown them.  In fact, I'm pretty sure I played with one as a kid and I'm 3? years old.

For the holiday season, you can purchase the Shape-O Toy on Tupperware's website for the special price of $22.00 (regular price $26.50) and it comes in it's own decorative box and with an adorable Shape-O Toy key chain.  It's called the Shake, Rattle and Roll Set and makes a great gift.  And if that price is still too steep for you, you can get it for free by throwing a Tupperware party.  If you do, make sure to send me an invitation!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations