Dec 8, 2009

Cutco Spatula Spreader: A Kitchen Multitasker

If you've heard of Cutco Knives, chances are a college-age friend or family member has had you sit through an extremely long sales pitch/demonstration about how Cutco knives are the best out there and how you should spend obscene amounts of money on them.  Well, I've sat through their presentation as well and, although I had no money to spend on knives at that time, I caved and bought the 3-knife set.  The set I purchased came with Cutco's Spatula Spreader as a free gift.  Honestly, that's the only reason I bought the set because I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it.  Don't get me wrong.  The knives are good quality and have a great unique handle that fits nicely in your hand, but in my opinion, they are waaaaay overpriced.  Now, that I've had the knives for several months, I'm thinking it was almost worth spending the money on the knives just to get the Spatula Spreader, or as I call it, the "Super-Duper Sandwich Maker".


The coolest thing you can do with this knife/spreader is make sandwiches in no time flat.  Now I know that isn't exactly earth shattering, but if you're someone who makes sandwiches for your kid's lunches, you'll appreciate this spreader for that aspect alone.  I think a reviewer (Sherkarr) from Epinions.com summed it up best:

"One of my favorite parts of the (knife) set was the spreader. It is flat like a spatula and then curved at the top, but with an edge on one side like that of the steak knives. If you buy nothing else from Cutco, buy the spreader! It is a sandwich makers dream! Slice the tomato, put mayo on the bread, chop up the onions and celery, mix the tuna...boom! No other tools necessary. And it is great for frosting cakes, and slice and serving cakes and pies."

If you've read my blog, you know I have a love affair with multitaskers.  Well, this handy little knife-spreader-spatula-in-one is at the top of my list of kitchen multitaskers that are well worth the dough (especially since you can find them on Ebay for less). I took it to a recent church dinner where pumpkin pie was the dessert, and I was told my spatula spreader out-cut and out-served every other kitchen utensil that was brought.

As far as the cost, I wouldn't recommend paying full price.  Cutco is notorious for being secretive about the prices of their knives.  They're not listed anywhere on their website and the sales reps won't even tell you what individual knives sell for unless you sit through their entire presentation.  Ebay retailers claim that Cutco sells it for $49 and most of their "buy it now" prices are $39 new or used for around $25.  I know buying a used kitchen utensil seems a little creepy, but just wash and sanitize it, and you won't care.   I've used and washed mine almost daily for the past 3 months and it still looks brand new.  I truly love this knife/spatula/spreader or whatever it is and I'm sure you will too.

If you need further convincing, you can read more reviews at Epinions.com



0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations