Feb 4, 2010

Soup's On!

I loooove beef and barley soup.  I really love just plain barley, but the combination of the flavor from the beef paired with the earthiness of barley is sheer heaven.  Not to mention, barley is an uber nutritious grain that's high in soluble fiber, even if the bran has been removed.
A few years ago, a friend taught me how to make an easy beef and barley soup.  She even came over to my house with all of the ingredients and showed me every step, while I watched and took copious notes.  Since then, I've made her wonderful recipe...hmm, let me see.....carry the one....oh, that's right, NEVER!!!  You see, I have a love-hate relationship with cooking.  Love to eat, hate to cook.  Maybe hate is too strong a word.  I think I might actually like to cook if I had a kitchen with easily accessible ingredients, the proper equipment, ample counter space, and without four needy kids bugging me the entire time I'm trying to prepare dinner.  But alas, that is not to be.  So at this time, cooking is more of a chore than a pleasure.
So you can imagine my delight, when I discovered a way to make beef and barley soup, with very little effort, and for only a few bucks.  Streit's is a food company that's been making kosher products since 1925, but since I'm not Jewish, I'd never heard of them until I stumbled upon their dry soup mixes in the grocery store.  I bought the Barley Mushroom Soup Mix after I read the label and discovered that making it involves simply simmering the contents of the box for 45 minutes.  Well, that's not entirely true.  At minute 30, you add the contents of the seasoning packet and then continue to simmer.  Whew!  That part was tough!  Striet's also makes other soup mixes like Split Pea and Minestrone, which I haven't tried yet, but intend to.

Horrible picture, I know..but it's the best I could find since I didn't take pic of the package I bought.  So sorry!

During the last few minutes of cooking, I threw in some left over flank steak from the night before and my lovely husband chopped up some carrots (more effort than I would have made) and steamed them a bit before throwing them into the soup pot as well.  The result?  An incredibly filling and delicious beef and barley soup, and all I had to do was boil water...which I can handle.
See below for the nutrition facts and ingredient list.  The sodium content is quite high, but it's all in the separate seasoning packet so to cut back on the sodium, just add less than the whole packet, or simply leave it out and add your own seasonings.
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 0.25 pack
Servings Per Container 4
Amount Per Serving
Calories 160Calories from Fat 5
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0g1%
Saturated Fat 0g0%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 113mg5%
Total Carbohydrate 22g7%
Dietary Fiber 5g 21%
Sugars 2g
Protein 7g
Vitamin A1%
Vitamin C2%
Calcium2%
Iron8%
* Percent daily values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:

Calories:2,0002,500
Total FatLess than65g80g
  Sat FatLess than20g25g
CholesterolLess than300mg300mg
SodiumLess than2,400mg2,400mg
Potassium3,500mg3,500mg
Total Carbohydrate300g375g
  Dietary Fiber25g30g
Protein50g65g
Ingredients: Barley, Green & Yellow Peas, Dextrose, Salt, Mushrooms, Onions, Carrots, Canola Oil, Natural Flavor, Turmeric.
Usage Directions / Dosage: In a medium sized pot, bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add contents of the large bag containing peas and barley. Cover pot and simmer over Low heat for 30 minutes. Add the contents of the seasoning bag and continue to simmer 15 minutes.
Warnings/Caution: Process on equipment used for wheat.
©2010 Aron Streit Inc.
New York, NY 10002

*Just a quick reminder about my Original Sprout Miracle Detangler giveaway that ends on Feb 7th.  Click here for more details.

8 comments:

Time4Mommy said...

Beef Barley Soup is one of my favorites!

Found you from FFF
You can find me @ http://www.takingtimeformommy.com

shawn said...

Stopping by from MBC-FFF
I love homemade soup. My Mom makes really good Beef Barley Soup-but she makes her completely from scratch.

JaelCustomDesigns said...

Popping in from MBC! (FFF Club)
Now following you.

you can find ma at
http://www.jaelcustomdesigns.com

I'm not that big on soup unless I feel ill, I know that's probably bad. That's the only time I can really re call eating soup.

~Shelley~ said...

Following from Mom Bloggers Club! Love for you to come visit me!

Have a great weekend :)
~Shelley @ Shelley's Swag

TMB said...

Hey following you via MBC FFF Club =)

Veronica Lee said...

Hi Angie. Welcome to the FFF club!

TheCrunchyWife said...

Hi! 'm following from MBC FFF :)

Daisy

www.thecrunchywife.blogspot.com

Stefanie said...

This sounds fantastic...and I love beef barley soup, so I can't wait to give it a try :)

Just stopping by from MBC and now following you.

Have a great week!
Stefanie http://pediatricsafety.net

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations