Mar 15, 2010

Soy Wrappers = I Like Sushi

Living in southern California is great!  The year-round sun, the beach, the humongous budget deficit...sigh.    Well, if you leave politics out of it, SoCal is a pretty great place to live, and I've always felt at home here.  But there's one thing that in the last several years has made me feel a little like a fish out of water.
I don't like sushi, not even California rolls. (gasp!)

Being a southern Californian who doesn't like sushi, I never hear the end of it from my sushi-loving friends.  I've even felt the disdain within the walls of my own home.  My foodie husband loves the stuff and has his own sushi making paraphernalia, but rarely makes it because his unsophisticated spouse won't eat it.  Maybe it's because when I was growing up, the only kind of fish I was ever served was frozen, breaded, and in the shape of a stick. 

In desperation, Hubby began looking for a way to make sushi more appealing to me, trying out different, more mild ingredients as the innards, but to no avail...until he brought home these:

These colorful wrappers are made out of soy beans and are also called soybean paper or mamenori.   The vivid colors are courtesy of natural ingredients like spinach, turmeric, and paprika.   Once I tried them, I realized that what I disliked about sushi was not what was on the inside, but on the outside.  Nori (or seaweed) sheets that are traditionally used to wrap sushi have a distinct fishy taste that I just could not get past.  Soy Wrappers have a pleasantly mild flavor that doesn't overpower the flavors of what's wrapped inside.

 Check out these vegan Easter eggs using mamenori from Vegan Lunch Box.  So cute!

Each wrapper contains only 20 calories and they can be used for much more than just sushi rolls.   With a little creativity, a soy wrapper can become the base for appetizers, sandwiches, or desserts.   Soy Wrappers are available at most major grocery stores and Asian markets as well as online for around $3.30 for 5 sheets.  Have fun!


3 comments:

Alison said...

These are too cool! I have never heard of them and can't wait to try them. =)

Domestica said...

Sounds like a yummy alternative. I will have to keep my eye out for them.

Juliana said...

Angie-those are cute and look yummy!


I am now following you from MBC/FFF. Come on by and follow back if you would like!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations