Mar 8, 2010

Trader Joe's Reduced Guilt Brownie Mix

I'm always wary of food products whose labels bear claims like "reduced guilt" because it implies that I can scarf down the entire contents with abandon, and not regret it in the morning.  Even though you and I know that's not true, I still just had to test it out.  Ha ha, gotcha!!!  You thought I seriously ate the entire pan of brownies!!  Silly you, I only ate 75% of the pan of brownies.  Big difference!  

Ok, I'll admit I fell off the calorie wagon a bit that day, and despite the "reduced guilt" claim on the box, I still felt pretty guilty about it. 

Now, I know what you're thinking.  "You're a dietitian!  You should know better!"  Well yes, but knowing and doing are two different things entirely.  You see, dietitian or not, I have sweet tooth the size of Willy Wonka's Chololate Factory and so I typically keep foods like brownies completely out of the house until the weekend, when as a family, we enjoy a treat together.  It's typically gone by Monday morning, or we throw it away.  But, this particular box of brownie mix had been sitting on my kitchen counter staring at me for several days until I finally caved, baked it up while my kids and hubby were gone, and ate most of it before they even knew it existed.  Take home lesson: put the stupid box away in the cupboard where it can't be seen!

Now that I'm done confessing, I guess I'll let you know what I think of this product.  Thanks to the vanilla yogurt, which is the only ingredient added to the mix, the brownies were extremely moist and fudgy.  They also had a nice strong chocolate flavor, which is a brownie must in my opinion.  My main complaint was that the sweetness factor was cranked up a bit too high.  Not surprising, considering the #1 ingredient listed is sugar.  However, for a fat-free brownie, these were definitely a good substitute for the real thing and not at all rubbery as most fat-free baked goods are. 

Bottom line:  If you are looking to have a brownie and save a few calories or fat grams, Trader Joe's Reduced Guilt Brownie Mix is a good way to go.  However, if you're concerned more about sugar or carbohydrates, just make your own and reduce the sugar by 1/4 to 1/3.  They'll turn out great.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go run off some guilt.


 

3 comments:

SafeHomeHappyMom said...

Hi, this is Blessing from Safe Home Happy Mom, I am your latest follower, you can also follow me at www.safehomehappymom.com


I love your blog, its so informative and chic, I will be hanging around for awhile.

SafeHomeHappyMom said...

Thanks for stopping by!!!

I. Vybot said...

I love your blog, its so informative and chic, I will be hanging around for awhile.It gives lots of information to the people who surf on net thanks for this

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations