May 8, 2010

Hercules Hooks Put To The Test

As usual, this post is long overdue.  I've decided that if I'm going to keep writing this blog (which I LOVE to do) I've got to stop feeling guilty about not posting as often as I think I should, and just go with the flow, letting the posts come as they may.  If that means I only post once every week or two, so be it.  I promise I'll do my best to make reading them worth your while! :)

So, as promised, I'm reviewing the "As Seen On TV" Hercules Hook.  In my teaser post, I revealed that I have a phobia about putting holes in my walls.  I'm so scared that if I hang something on the wall, I'll hate it and then I'll have an unsightly hole left behind.  As a result of this fear, most of the walls in my home are bare.  Case in point...here's my living room...

...my kitchen...

...above the piano...

...and even my bedroom. 
 Sad, I know.  My photographer friend has chastised me severely.

Just to prove I'm not a total lost cause, here are a couple pics of the kids that I hung in the stairwell using Hercules Hooks.  
Good for me!!!

So instead of using Hercules Hooks to cover my bare walls with an amazing display of decorating prowess, I decided to venture out to the garage where no one will care if I leave a few gaping holes behind.

To test the claim that the Hercules Hook can hold an incredible amount of weight without tearing through drywall, I pushed two hooks into the wall about 6 inches apart, and hung a bag I bought on clearance at Target for $8.  Nice.


...then,I started filling it with my free weights (and, yes, I actually use them so don't mess with me:).


The hooks held 49.5 pounds with no problem.  Impressive!  I thought I'd leave the bag for a few hours to see, if over time, the dry wall would give a little.

The result...
There was a slight give in the dry wall above both hooks, but I attribute that to the fact that I yanked pretty hard on the bag, just to see what would happen.   In my opinion, they held up really well.

I would definitely trust these hooks to hold up the heaviest picture, mirror, or anything else you decide to hang on your walls, as long as you use two or more for anything over 40 lbs to distribute the weight, as recommended.

I bought my Hercules Hooks at an "As Seen On TV" store in the mall and paid $12.99 for 20 hooks.   Amazon sells a 20 pack with a handy little laser marker for $12.86, not a bad deal.  They are also available at Bed Bath and Beyond for $14.99.  Whatever you do, don't order them from the "As Seen On TV" website.  Their price is higher and their shipping costs are pretty steep. 

Maybe someday, after much professional counseling, I'll get up the courage to use Hercules Hooks to adorn my empty, pathetic walls.  In the mean time, I'd like to wish you all a HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!  Now go eat some chocolate.

5 comments:

Domestica said...

My sister loves the As Seen on TV products, she is pretty much a junkie. I haven't seen this infomercial, but I will definitly keep it in mind next time I hang heavy items. Thanks for the post!

Tamara aka Cheapskate Mom said...

LOL about your bare walls. That is why there is spackle, silly!

Great review!

Coming over from MBC Simply Follow! Nice to meet you!

Tamara
http://proudtobecheap.blogspot.com/

Kim said...

I have no fear of putting holes in my walls - maybe that's why I have so many and probably need to do some Spackling.lol

Following you from MBC! :)

Lisa said...

tooo funny, i have a commitment phobia too but my house had tons of nails when i moved in so i just used those and switch things around when i'm bored. never mind the fact that it means i haven't painted in 6+ years

new follower from MBC, would love a return follow. THANKS

http://www.ohboyohboyohboy.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks for one's marvelous posting! I actually enjoyed reading it,
you may be a great author. I will always bookmark your blog and may come back in the future.
I want to encourage you to ultimately continue your great job, have a nice afternoon!


My favorite blog page regarding modern technology: tv surround sound speakers

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations